Associate Shin Tada
Osaka Bar Association, Japan Federation of Bar Associations (2009)
New York (2016)
Location ： Tokyo Office and Osaka Office
[Currently on secondment]
Shin Tada has practiced in wide range of commercial disputes (arbitration, mediation and litigation) both in domestic and international settings. Disputes include corporate, intellectual property, and employment matters. Particularly, he has acted as counsel in international commercial arbitrations (ICC, SIAC, ICDR, JCAA) arising from license, construction, international sale of goods and M&A transaction.
Mr Tada is also experienced in regulatory compliance (anti-corruption, data protection, etc.) and general corporate matters (M&A, intellectual properties). Based on his experience in different cities in the world (New York, London, Dubai, Hong Kong), Mr. Tada advises both domestic and foreign clients for various international matters.
Major Cases Handled
(1) International commercial arbitration cases
Represented a major Japanese manufacturer concerning supply of service (SIAC arbitration seated in Singapore and SIMC mediation conducted under the SIAC-SIMC Arb-Med-Arb Protocol).
Represented a major Japanese machine tool manufacturer against a Swiss company concerning a license dispute (ICC arbitration seated in Tokyo).
Advised a Japanese pharmaceutical company against an American company concerning a license dispute (ICDR arbitration seated in New York).
Represented an Indonesian manufacturer of electric products against a purchaser in Dubai concerning supply of goods (JCAA arbitration seated in Tokyo; setting-aside proceedings at the Tokyo District Court).
Represented a major Japanese pharmaceutical company against a major Japanese equipment manufacturer concerning the international construction project (JCAA arbitration seated in Tokyo).
(2) Litigation cases
Represented a major automotive tool manufacturer against the Japanese government involving a tax levy under the tax haven regulation in Japan.
Represented a Japanese manufacturer against a trading company involving a commercial transaction in China.
Represented a Peruvian family against the Japanese government involving a deportation order in breach of the immigration law (Osaka High Court Decision, December 20, 2013, 2238 Hanrei Jiho 3).
Education & Professional Experience
September 2018~ Panasonic Corporation (Osaka)
August 2016 - October 2016
Arbitration Intern, Secretariat of the ICC International Court of Arbitration (Asia Office), Hong Kong
May 2016 - June 2016
Work Experience Contractor, Nabarro (Middle East) LLP, Dubai
October 2015 - April 2016
Work Experience Contractor, Commercial Litigation group and Corporate group of Nabarro LLP, London
Columbia University School of Law (LL.M.)
Keio University Law School (J.D.)
The University of Tokyo (LL.B.)
(1) Bar association memberships and activities
Osaka Bar Association, Japan Federation of Bar Associations (December 2009-)
International Bar Association (September 2012-)
Inter-Pacific Bar Association (October 2010-)
International Association of Young Lawyers (May 2017-)
Study Group on Foreign Legal Practice, Osaka Bar Association, (Member: April 2010-, Member of the Secretariat: April 2012-)
Project Team for the Hague Conventions on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction, Osaka Bar Association (June 2010-)
(2) Memberships and activities associated with international dispute resolution
Japan Association of Arbitrators (Deputy Secretary General of the Kansai Branch; Committee Member of the Japan International Mediation Center (JIMC-Kyoto))
ICC Young Arbitrators Forum
ICDR Young & International
Young International Arbitration Group (LCIA)
- Japanese Supreme Court Provides Guidance on Arbitrator’s Duty to Disclose a Potential Conflict of Interest in an International Arbitration
- [Series] Practice of ICC Arbitration  (Journal of the Japanese Institute of International Business Law (Vol. 46, No. 6, 2018))
- [Series] Practice of ICC Arbitration (Journal of the Japanese Institute of International Business Law (Vol. 46, No. 5, 2018))
- [Series] Cutting-Edge Issues of International Business Law Studies (56): 2017 Revisions to ICC Arbitration Rules and their Implications
- Arbitral Award Set Aside by Osaka High Court for Arbitrator's Failure to Disclose Potential Conflict of Interest
- 2018.05.21 ～2018.05.22
- Asia Legal Practice Morning Seminar (6):Measures to Be Taken by Asian Countries for the Protection of Personal Data (As Based on the GDPR)
- The Latest Trends in International Arbitrations and Mediations in Singapore: Effective Use of Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Understanding the Essential Points of the Amendment to the Unfair Competition Prevention Law of China in 90 Minutes
- Latest Trends of Arbitration Practices in China and Hong Kong - Learning from Experiences Arbitrating at the HKIAC -
- Practices in Drafting Arbitration Clauses (A Commentary on Practical Points in Drafting Arbitration Clauses for Cross-Border Agreements and Sample Cases)
- Special Commemorative Seminar to Celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the Retrocession of Hong Kong - Practical Points in Using Hong Kong as a Business Hub (Osaka)
- Current Updates on Arbitration in China: Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards in Mainland China and Recent Practices in Hong Kong and Shanghai
- Special Commemorative Seminar to Celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the Retrocession of Hong Kong - Practical Points in Using Hong Kong as a Business Hub (Tokyo)
- Effective Use of Emergency Arbitrator Proceedings and Expedited Procedure in International Arbitration: In the Wake of the Revisions to the ICC Arbitration Rules
- Pre-Moot Conference 2017: Costs in International Arvitration (in connection with Vis Moot)
- Seminar on Arbitrations (Nagoya) "International Arbitrations Practices (In Light of the Recent Trends in Asia)"
- [Held Urgently] Practical Considerations for the UK's Leaving from the EU - Scenarios of Brexit and Its Implications for Japanese Companies
Japanese and English