Partner Norihiro Sekiguchi
Tokyo Bar Association; Japan Federation of Bar Associations (1997)
American Bar Association (2004)
Location ： Tokyo Office
- International Practice
Norihiro Sekiguchi is a partner at Oh-Ebashi LPC & Partners, with a broad experience in the area of M&A. He has handled domestic and cross-border M&As representing non-Japanese acquirers in various jurisdictions. The types of transactions in which he has been involved cover tender offers, mergers, stock swaps, asset or business acquisitions, management buyouts and various types of private equity investments. He has extensive experiences in corporate governance and disputes including corporate lawsuits, exercising shareholders rights, and disputes regarding corporate control. He is also familiar with securities regulations and corporate compliance. He has experiences in forensic investigation of listed companies as a chairman or leading investigator of independent committees. He has advised on litigations and dispute resolution matters regarding corporate or labor law issues, M&As, and commercial transactions for both domestic and international cases.
Mr. Sekiguchi was formerly a partner at the Tokyo office of Baker & McKenzie from 2006 to 2014. He worked at Baker & McKenzie’s Chicago office from 2003 to 2004. He received the “Technology, Media, and Telecommunications Deal of the Year” award at the 2010 ALB Japan Law Awards. He has authored various publications, including the best-selling TOB Handbook and has given lectures on a variety of topics related to corporate and securities law. He has also been teaching M&A law and practice since 2008 as a lecturer at the Chuo University Business School.
Major Cases Handled
- Represented Seagate Technology plc (U.S. corporation) in relation to the acquisition of Toshiba Memory Corporation.
- Advised the Sankei Shimbun in relation to a defamation lawsuit filed by ex-military comfort women before the United States District Court.
- Acted as Secretary General of the Executive Liability Investigation Committee of a major Japanese manufacturer of electronics, to lead and organize all investigations.
- Advised CTBC Financial Holding Company Ltd. in relation to its acquisition of Tokyo Star Bank (this matter was the first-ever acquisition of a Japanese local commercial bank by a non-Japanese commercial bank).
- Forensic investigation of circular transactions by Geo Corp. and its subsidiaries.
- Advised SPARX Capital Partners in relation to the exercise of its shareholder's rights against PENTAX Corporation with respect to PENTAX's decision regarding a potential merger with HOYA.
Education & Professional Experience
Oh-Ebashi LPC & Partners, Partner
Baker & McKenzie (Tokyo), Partner
Baker & McKenzie (Tokyo), Senior Associate
Baker & McKenzie LLP (Chicago), Associate
University of Virginia School of Law (LL.M.)
Baker & McKenzie (Tokyo), Associate
Inami, Ohta & Shibasaki, Associate
Waseda University (LL.B.)
Activity of the Japan Federation of Bar Associations to support small and medium enterprises to expand their businesses overseas
Member of the International Committee, the Tokyo Bar Association
Representative of the Tokyo Bar Association
Lecturer at the Chuo University Business School
Member of the Corporation Law Committee, the Tokyo Bar Association
- The Features of Annual General Meetings of Shareholders Held in 2016 and the Analysis thereon,
- A Compact Commentary on the Companies Act 3: Company Auditors, Audit Committee Members and Audit and Supervisory Committee Members
- [Special Report] Risks Involved in Overseas Business Expansions of Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises, and Countermeasures Therefor _ Focusing on Legal Risks in China, Thailand, Vietnam and Indonesia -
- Amendments to the Companies Act – Dissenting Rights and Rights to Injunctions against Corporate Reorganizations
- How to Deal with Strengthened Insider Trading Regulations – in the case of Tender Offers and M&As
- TOB Handbook revised edition
- PLC Cross-Border Private Equity Handbook
- Present and Future of M&As Using One's Own Shares as the Consideration -- Prospects on the Share Delivery (kabushiki kofu) System Taking into Consideration the Tax Implications
- 【Osaka】Answers to Questions You are Hesitant to Ask about the Relationship between Legal Due Diligence and SPA - A Discussion in light of the Amendments to the Civil Act
- 【Tokyo】Answers to Questions You are Hesitant to Ask about the Relationship between Legal Due Diligence and SPA - A Discussion in light of the Amendments to the Civil Act
- Overseas Subsidiaries and Internal Control
- How to use M&A Insurance in Cross-Border Deals - considering the perspective of insurance firms -
- Corporate Risks arising from Misleading Representations and Corporate Governance - Best Practices for Complying With the Amended Premiums and Representations Act -
- Best Practices for Complying With the Corporate Governance Code - preparing for AGMs 2016 -
- Practical Points on Preparing and Negotiating Stock Purchase Agreements/Joint Venture Agreements for Cross-Border M& As
- Seminar on the Corporate Governance Code "Best Practices for Complying With the Corporate Governance Code"
Japanese and English