As their businesses expand, Japanese companies are getting more involved in litigation, arbitration and other forms of dispute resolution overseas.
We have an abundant experience in cross-border litigation involving international commercial disputes, product liability actions, tort claims, antimonopoly law-related disputes and intellectual property disputes worldwide, more specifically, in the USA (including major U.S. class actions), Europe, China, South Asia, India, the Middle East, South America, Africa, Australia, etc. Our global network of foreign law firms facilitates our delivery of efficient and appropriate advice [and legal services] to Japanese enterprises and other clients involved in the relevant disputes.
Our international arbitration practice consists of a team of members who have been actively representing parties or sitting as arbitrators. We can offer, in response to the various needs of the clients, practical and commercial solutions throughout the process from the stage of negotiating the contract to the stage any dispute arises, including with respect to the procedural [steps and] issues, settlement negotiations, arbitration proceedings and enforcement of the award pursuant to the rules and procedures of the relevant arbitral institutions such as the JCAA, ICC, ICDR/AAA, CIETAC, SIAC, LCIA, HKIAC, KCAB and SHIAC as well as the UNCITRAL arbitration rules or other rules for ad hoc arbitrations. The commercial disputes that we handle cover a wide range of subjects such as joint ventures, M&As, collaborative development contracts, licenses, sale and purchase agreements, international construction contracts, distributorships, energy purchase contracts, etc.
We also assist in obtaining the best solutions to disputes for local and foreign clients in various other kinds of alternative dispute resolution (ADR) including international mediation.
In addition, the list of 120 experienced arbitrators / mediators including foreign lawyers published by the Japan Commercial Arbitration Association (JCAA, Tokyo · Chiyoda) includes Shiro Kuniya, Hirohiko Ikeda, Teppei Mogi, Kazuhiro Kobayashi, and Toshimitsu Kitagawa as of August 2018.
Lawyers in charge of International Arbitration
- Shiro Kuniya
- Hirohiko Ikeda
- Teppei Mogi
- Kazuhiro Kobayashi
- Motonobu Wakabayashi
- Naoki Kondo
- Shingo Yamada
- Takashi Hirose
- Yuichi Oda
- Jason Jose R. Jiao
- Tadashi Ishikawa
- Takashi Koyama
- Hisako Matsuda
- Miriam Rose Ivan L. Pereira
- Sho Yamamoto
- Aiko Hosokawa
- Akiko Ishida
- New Arbitration Rules Based on the Civil Law Tradition―The 2018 DIS Arbitration Rules, the Prague Rules, and the JCAA Interactive Arbitration Rules
- International Legal Practice
- Q&A on the Amendments to the Personal Status Litigation Act, the Domestic Relations Case Procedure Act and other laws - for the Development of the Legal System concerning Jurisdiction over Cross-border Litigation
- The New DIS Arbitration Rules 2018: Germany's Offer of an Attractive Arbitration Alternative for Asian Parties
- [Series] Practice of ICC Arbitration  (Journal of the Japanese Institute of International Business Law) eng
- [Series] Practice of ICC Arbitration (Journal of the Japanese Institute of International Business Law)
- Case Study on Court Judgment in China Regarding Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Award (14)
- Office 40s: Business Legal Affairs: Theory and Practice regarding Civil and Commercial Laws in China 
- The Existence of a "Dispute" and the Prima Facie Test for a Tribunal to Have Jurisdiction
- Document Production Procedure and the Scope of Privilege in Investment Treaty Arbitration
- Indirect Expropriation, Fair and Equitable Treatment Obligations, and Valuation Standards and Methods of Damages under CAFTA
- 【Onilne Seminar】New Series of International Legal Practice Seminars (2): Basics of Investment Arbitration
- SIAC and JAA Kansai Chapter Osaka Webinar Series: Part II From Negotiations to Constitution of the Arbitral Tribunal: A Practical Guide to Preparing for Arbitration
- JAA Kansai Chapter Osaka and SIAC Webinar Series: Part 1 The Advantages of Arbitration for Japanese SMEs
- 【Online Seminar: Video Streaming】[Back by Popular Demand] Series of International Legal Practice Seminars (10 Seminars in Total)
- 【Online Seminar】International Legal Practice Seminar (10):The Basics and Practice of Arbitration
- International Dispute Resolution Seminar, Practical Course: "Practical Usage of International Arbitration - Strategy, Tactics and Points to Note Based on Actual Arbitration Cases"
- 【Online Seminar】Comparison of the Latest Arbitration Rules of ICC, JCAA and SIAC, as well as the Points to Note in Practice
- YSIAC-YJAA Tokyo Workshop 2019
- 【Osaka】Choice of Arbitration Rules and Drafting Arbitration Clauses in light of the Amendment of the Japan Commercial Arbitration Association (JCAA) Rules
- 【Tokyo】Choice of Arbitration Rules and Drafting Arbitration Clauses in light of the Amendment of the Japan Commercial Arbitration Association (JCAA) Rules
- The Latest Trends in International Arbitrations and Mediations in Singapore: Effective Use of Alternative Dispute Resolution
- DOING BUSINESS in HONG KONG and JAPAN
- Asia Legal Practice Morning Seminar (1): Actual Procedures in Using the Singapore International Mediation Centre
- Latest Trends of Arbitration Practices in China and Hong Kong - Learning from Experiences Arbitrating at the HKIAC -
- Practices in Drafting Arbitration Clauses (A Commentary on Practical Points in Drafting Arbitration Clauses for Cross-Border Agreements and Sample Cases)