Partner Seigo Takehira
Osaka Bar Association , Japan Federation of Bar Associations(2000)
New York Bar(2006)
Location ： Osaka Office
Mr. Seigo Takehira is a leading partner in the Corporate and Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A) Practice Group of the firm. He has done prior work in the investment banking industry, and since 2015, has served as an examiner for the Bar and Preliminary Bar Examinations on Corporate Law.
Mr. Takehira’s practice areas include corporate governance, domestic and cross-border M&A, commercial transactions, and domestic/international dispute resolutions, covering a broad range of industries, including pharmaceuticals, medical equipment, energy, manufacturing, transportation, retail, real estate and financial institutions.
Mr. Takehira has more than 15 years experience in advising strategic and financial investors in M&A transactions, including private acquisitions and sales, public takeovers, mergers, spin-offs, asset transfers, share exchange, joint ventures and restructurings.
Mr. Takehira also has substantial experience in representing both foreign and domestic clients in international arbitrations and litigations that involve asbestos, product liability, breach of representations and warranties in acquisition contracts, and disputes over commercial agreements.
In 2012, the Asian Legal Business article on “Next Generation Cities” specifically cited Mr. Takehira for his expertise in corporate and M&A work.
Major Cases Handled
＜Mergers and Acquisitions＞
Acquisition of Anchor Electricals Group (India) by Panasonic (Japan)
Management Integration (Merger) of the Senshu Ikeda Bank
Management Integration (Share Exchange) between H2O Retailing and Izumiya
Acquisition of Aprica by Newell Rubbermaid Inc.
Acquisition of European Pharmaceutical by Japanese Pharmaceutical
Other Public Takeovers / Management Buy-Out/ Private Equity
＜International Dispute Resolution＞
International Arbitration involving License Agreement between Japan and United States
International Arbitration involving Development Agreement between Japan and United States
International Arbitration involving breaches of warranties after the Acquisition
Product Liabilities Litigations in United States involving Japanese manufacturers
Education & Professional Experience
Examiner for the Bar and Preliminary Bar Examinations (Corporate Law)
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP (New York)
University of Michigan Law School (LL.M.)
Daiwa Securities SMBC Co., Ltd., Principal Finance Department
Osaka University (LL.B.)
- Points to Note in Preparing Annual Reports and Audit Reports for Ordinary General Meetings of Shareholders in 2017
- A Compact Commentary on the Companies Act 3: Company Auditors, Audit Committee Members and Audit and Supervisory Committee Members
- Willful Misconduct and Gross Negligence of Buyer and Representations and Warranties - US Cases and Model Stock Purchase Agreement
- The Revision of Companies Act and Impacts on Financial Practice including Debt Collection - Trend in Abusive Company Split
- Features：Outline of Revised Corporation Law and Financial Practice/Fraudulent Corporate Division and Debt Collection by Financial Institutions
- 【Osaka】Risk Management & Compliance Seminar ① Practical handling of corporate scandals and establishment of preventive measures
- 【Nagoya】Practices to Cope with Activist Shareholders - "Making Necessary Preparation under Normal Circumstances in View of Possible Emergency Actions (If You Want Peace, Prepare for War)"
- 【Tokyo】Practices to Cope with Activist Shareholders - "Making Necessary Preparation under Normal Circumstances in View of Possible Emergency Actions (If You Want Peace, Prepare for War)"
- 【Osaka】Practices to Cope with Activist Shareholders - "Making Necessary Preparation under Normal Circumstances in View of Possible Emergency Actions (If You Want Peace, Prepare for War)"
- Directions for Director Compensation Reform and System Design for Mid-sized Listed Companies -- For Transparency of the Compensation Decision-Making Process at Companies with Audit and Supervisory Committee
- Exit Strategy
- Minority Investments
- Seminar on the Corporate Governance Code - Best Practices for Complying with the Corporate Governance Code
- The Revision of Companies Act and Impacts on Financial Practice including Debt Collection - Abusive Company Split and Other M&A Transactions
- Civil Liabilities of Companies and Securities Lawsuits regarding Fraudulent Disclosure- Case Studies and Legal Practices-
- Legal Issues for Rights Issue
Listed in Who's Who Legal: Litigation
Listed in legal counsel in Corporate and M&A in Asian Legal Business (July 2012)
Listed in Corporate and M&A section in Best Lawyers (since 2009)
Japanese and English