Following the amendment to the Private Finance Initiative (PFI) Act in 2010, an increased number of Japanese infrastructure businesses have been commissioned to private companies (the right-to-operate-public-facility system or concession method). Consequently, airports, toll roads, ports, water utilities and other public facilities have been built, improved and operated by private companies.
Overseas infrastructure business is also rapidly growing and changing. Japanese companies are entering this business and sharing their expertise all over the world, including emerging countries in Asia. The Government of Japan is also encouraging the export of advanced infra technology of Japanese companies.
Project financing has also greatly benefitted large-scale private infrastructure projects in Japan and abroad.
We have been providing legal support to many companies engaged in domestic and overseas infrastructure businesses (including public-private partnerships), business acquisitions (M&A), and business alliances or partnerships to facilitate foreign investments in Japan and the export of Japanese infra technology overseas.
Cases we have handled include: the New Kansai International Airport; Universal Studios Japan project; a water treatment plant in Malaysia; a railway construction in Hanoi, Vietnam; improvement of research facilities of national universities; improvement of port and harbor facilities; export of the Japanese Shinkansen technology; the Osaka Soto-Kanjo Railway; and nuclear, thermal and hydraulic power plants as well as solar and wind farms (inside and outside Japan).
We are also experienced in resolving domestic and overseas infrastructure-related disputes, including litigation and arbitration.
Lawyers in charge of Infrastructure
- Shiro Kuniya
- Teppei Mogi
- Seigo Takehira
- Yoichiro Ono
- Ayako Kanamaru
- Yuichi Urata
- Aiko Hosokawa
- Yoshimasa Sawa
- Ryosuke Sogo
- Kayoko Naito
- Yuzo Ogata
- Shunta Doki
- The Integral Resort (IR) Business has Started - Matters to Note when Entering Into such Business -
- Floating Offshore Wind Asia (FOWA) 2023 - Promoting Commercial scale floating offshore wind in Japan
- 【Online Seminar: Video Streaming】 According to the Type of Business: Practice of Human Rights Due Diligence Based on Disclosed Cases
- Important Issues in Business Legal Affairs in View of Latest Developments - Important Points in the Act on the Development of the Specified Complex Tourist Facilities Areas, and Matters to Note When Entering IR-related Business
- 【Osaka】The Integrated Resort (IR) Business has Finally Started - Important Points in the Act on the Development of the Specified Complex Tourist Facilities Areas, and Matters to Note When Entering IR-related Business